Sunday, October 14, 2012

AC Sanctuary Katana

Finally got this page done. Started it last weekend and didn't finish it till tonight. Although I do like the perspective views I drew, the composition is weak due to the lack of a background, or a ground line that supports the bikes and gives them some sort of context. I also feel that when negotiating certain parts of the bike that I cannot see on the reference image, I need to do a better job filling it with a tone instead of black, or filling it with a part instead of just a tone and/or black. The next bike I draw, I'm first going to see the bike from multiple angles, then draw out different parts of the bike in a few perspective views, then finish with one or two views of the actual bike together. The hope is to better understand the form of the bike, and eventually understand the forms well enough to construct one on my own, accurately. Trying to avoid just random forms that look rightly placed and positioned. I want to actually draw out parts and pieces correctly relative to each other so that if and when I do want to design something, say a bike, I will have understood the reasons for positioning certain things and not have it be just a "looks cool" thing but an actual, functional product. Anyway, gotta do viscom2 homework tomorrow, and some Art of Research. After that, on to Product2 homework and the whole toy thing for the rest of the week. Click To Expand

2 comments:

  1. heh... reading your post reminds me of a chat i had a long while back with a guy who designs model kits. The amount of time he spends photographing, measuring, observing, taking apart and putting back-together-ing things is mind blowing... i met him at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (http://www.mvtf.org/index.html)as he was researching one of the vehicles they had in the collection. You know, i know you are not sleeping much due to course work, but model building is quite relaxing (for me at least)... maybe there will be a bike model in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha i wish i loved model building since we are doing so much of it right now in our lower term classes. thank god the future terms are mainly using CAD. I guess its not necessarily a good thing to be a product designer that hates model building, as it seems most product designers are model builders and trans designers are sketchers. Hopefully my love for sketching and ability to operate software will really come into play in the future. The way I want to do it, I'll be sketching and rendering the product, and i'll ship it off to a model builder or printer and it will come to fruition like that.

    ReplyDelete