Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lift-Off


Click To Enlarge

Click To Enlarge


Click To Enlarge


So, aside from the work that is being dumped on us from school(which is a lot but much more fun than first term), I've been sketching motor cycles. I did my first sketches about a month ago, on and off, and really didn't make any improvements. Maybe a little improvement was made when it came to shaping out the form with the first few strokes, but other than that, detail, perspective, rendering, all were very very poor. I have done charcoal drawings in great detail before of still life and faces, but for some reason, never thought to transfer that level detail over to these sketches. I had a mindset that they had to fast and quick, and very "free"(thus minute detail should be kept out of the picture). Last Monday, I went to something that a few students at our school who are upper term-ers offer. Simply bring your sketches to them, and they'll break-em down, giving you advice and doing a sketch of their own in front of you. I watched Isual(a friend who is in trans) get some help, and afterwards showed my sketches to Marcel(a 6th term trans student who has a load of experience who holds SketchHelp on Mondays). Marcel took the sketch that I had drawn, and started detailing the crap out of it, showing me different techniques with the pens, shading and indicating. Its been almost a week since that day, and I've done a few sketches, trying to improve on each. People have pointed out to me that the sketches are in the style close to Viscom 4, originally taught by Norm Sherman. I love the sketches that Norm produced. Sad he passed, but glad he left touched and taught so many people to continue and learn his style. Definitely want to take that class when I get to 4th Term as I am only 2nd right now. 

Anyway, below are the sketches that I did before Marcel helped me out. And above the ones that I have done in the past week. THESE ARE ALL REFERENCED. I am working toward being able to do it without reference, obviously. Not nearly there yet at all. But the sketching on the side has definitely helped with my ability to sketch in our Product2 class.

Click To Enlarge
Click To Enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment